© Leslie R. Nitkiewicz
John Hays Hammond Jr. began construction on his castle across from Norman’s Woe in 1926. Hammond was a storied inventor and engineer, mentored by Edison and Bell. He acquired hundreds of patents, largely based on radio-controlled weaponry and as diverse as neon lighting and a version of today’s electric razor. Hammond’s infamous radio controlled “ghost boats” piloted about the harbor alarming boaters for the amusement of his guests.