Waves of immigrants increased in the 1800s, and Jewish immigrants settled here as early as the Civil War. Since 1904, Temple Ahavat Achim has been the center of Jewish life on Cape Ann, moving to this site in 1951. Shabbat morning, December 15, 2007, a fire in the apartment building, just a few feet away, killed one resident, and devastated the temple’s historic building. The community rallied, and soon broke ground for a synagogue that joins Gloucester’s legacy of distinctive buildings.
© Marie Demick
Photos courtesy Maryann Thompson Architects
This Jewish Cemetery was established in 1913 on Fernald Rd. near 493 Essex Avenue.
Mt. Jacob Cemetery in West Gloucester has been the congregational burial ground for almost 100 years. Although not far from Rte 128, it is quiet and secluded, in-tune with its woodland setting.
Directions to Mt. Jacob Cemetery
Take Rte. 128 to Rte.133 (Exit 14). Drive west on Rte. 133 (toward Essex) for about .3 miles. Turn right onto Fernald St. (a dirt road.) After 100 yards, the paved cemetery parking lot will be on the right. The cemetery entrance is through the stone pillars at the end of the parking lot.